Michael’s Play (Part 2)

Photo by Amy Darling


Part II

Normally when I am asked to go to a play my immediate response is, “Couldn’t hear you, what was that again?”  This allows me to conjure up as many excuses as possible while the question is repeated and at the end of which I can say, “Thursday night...aw shit, that’s the night I’m having my feet removed.”

Michael assured me that this play was different, so I went, and he was right.  In fact, the word “play” in the traditional sense doesn’t apply.  Rather than force a label on it, I’ll just say, “ya kinda had to be there.”

Despite the show being sold out the cast nearly outnumbered the audience.  The show takes its structure from a runaway train accompanied by vignettes where permanent cast members take turns losing their grip on reality.  Sandwiched between these displays are some walk-on acts that range from disassembling a Big Mac atop a rotating umbrella, to revealing the origin of the universe.  The walk-ons are different every night.  The night I went with Nina and B-rad, someone who I took to be Alice in Wonderland, related a moving personal experience which served as a cautionary tale regarding the dangers of hallucinogens.  I was surprised to learn later that Alice had done a walk-on for the previous week’s show spending a solid 5 minutes silently piercing various body parts.

A white-faced Amazonian Princess served as the mistress of ceremonies, helping smooth things over between the triumphs and disasters that encircled her.  She occasionally appeared to be temporarily dissociated but seemed to return each time completely unfazed and in fact visibly refreshed.  Had a fire broken out on stage, she would have welcomed it and found a way to work it in.

A ballet dancer spun and pranced to a seriously profound recitation by Alan Watts or someone whose voice was instantly recognizable to everyone except me.  A second dancer tickled the heads of the audience with her butterfly wings while singing a golden oldie.  Then came a mini-lecture by a tall bald fellow who may have been an opening act for Joseph Campbell.  His message described a process capable of raising one’s consciousness without hallucinogens.  Interestingly, his one visual aid was identical to the death star in The Empire Strikes Back and his process was obviously discovered with the use of hallucinogens.

Toward the end I realized the two persons who had stood motionless on stage through the entire show were a couple from Zorthian’s Ranch whom I had met at a Midnight Ridazz event last year.  I didn’t recognize them until they began their Gregorian chant number.  In my defense it should be noted that at the Ridazz event I was buzzed, and they were wearing clothes.

The show can hardly be considered finely tuned as there are several times where the wheels begin to come off and the Amazonian Princess is called upon to perform a reverse dismount.  The abundance of chaos creates a tension that swells and subsides as the show progresses.  The degree of tension is made apparent at the conclusion when a mustachioed faro dealer encourages the audience to scream at the top of their lungs - no one holds back.



(Extended date added for the show on July 7th @ 10:30pm - Tickets at http://hff18.org/4958)