History of Civilization II

The end of my sophomore year was ten days away.  The Dean of Students had sent word by way of one of his snitches for me to come to his office.   I'd had several run-ins with him before, none of which had gone well.  During these first two years he had found it necessary to (1) issue me countless warnings; (2) require me to offer written/verbal apologies to faculty and students for egregious behavior; and (3), present me with invoices for property damages. 

I hadn't done anything terrible lately, so I assumed it was someone else's dirty work that I was going to get credit for.  Once I sat down in his office, I learned that instead of the usual accusatory rant, it was actually worse - he wanted to discuss my grades.  He said that my current GPA was 1.3 and that a C average of 2.0 was required to graduate.  In addition, I was quickly approaching a point where it would be statistically impossible to raise my GPA to a C in the remaining two years.  He ended the conversation by encouraging me to find a way to turn things around.

This added to my growing concern over the History of Civilization final exam scheduled for the next day.  This final was a multiple choice exam termed "comprehensive" as it was to cover all two years totaling 30 units, lectures and reading materials encompassing a little over two thousand years of art, literature, philosophy, music, religion – you get the idea.   Since I had missed the majority of the lectures and hadn't yet started studying for the exam, things did not look promising.  I was going to need help figuring a way around this.  Marc Hartwig had been a good sounding board in the past and I asked him to join me in the attic of the FiJi house.  After a few hours and a few beers, we devised a brilliant plan.  It was so good that Hartwig wanted in on it.

The next morning we drove up and parked in the remote and rarely used parking lot behind Thorne Hall where the test was being given.  We arrived about twenty minutes after the test was handed out.  All exams at Occidental were carried out under an honor system.  Test materials were distributed by college staffers at the start and then the staffers left the building.  When students completed their exams they placed their materials in a box which was later retrieved by the staffers. 

Hartwig waited in the car and I entered the stage area at the back of Thorne Hall.  To repay property damages it had been necessary for me to work part time jobs at the college during the last two years.  I had done custodial chores in and around Thorne hall – I knew the place like the back of my hand.  After entering the back stage area, I climbed the stairwell until I was above the hall's ceiling.  The ceiling inside the hall that rises thirty-odd feet above the seating area is actually a "drop" ceiling.  Above this drop ceiling, there is an eight foot high open space that runs the entire length of the hall.  The drop ceiling is a massive lattice constructed with eight inch wide wood beams.  The open areas between the beams are two-by-two feet square.  The open squares are covered by a loose knit material like burlap that you can see through.  The area above the drop ceiling is not lit but of course the area where  everyone was seated was well lit.  This allowed me to walk gingerly across the beams without fear of being detected and perch in a spot by the front of the hall where I could wait and watch for the first person to finish.

Larry McClelland was the first to grab his stuff, leave the hall and deposit his test materials in the box in the foyer.  The exam had only taken him forty-five minutes.  I proceeded forward through the 2,000 organ pipes located above the foyer, went down the stairs and into the foyer.  I left Larry's answer sheet but I took his exam booklet from the box.  It was then a simple matter of retracing my way through the organ pipes, above and across the 400 unsuspecting test takers, and back down to the car where Hartwig was waiting.  Piece of cake.

Our plan was based on the following assumptions:
  1. If we called the History of Civ office at mid-day (which we did separately of course) and said we were sick and had missed the test, they would schedule a make up test.
  2. Since we were deathly ill, the make up test would be scheduled at least two days off to allow us to recover and give us ample time to research answers to the questions in the test booklet.
  3. Due to the scope of the comprehensive test and the effort required to create a second test, even if it were determined that one booklet had gone missing, they would not take the trouble to create a second test.
  4. Larry McClelland (or whoever finished first) would obviously be a straight A student and being above reproach, would suffer no adverse consequences if it were discovered that his booklet was missing.
Normally, Marc and I would have some real misgivings about cheating.  In this instance, no such concerns were ever in play.  We were swept up in the enthusiasm for this caper; once formulated, there was no way we were going to pass this up.  Granted, not flunking out of school added to the appeal.

Following the plan we called in sick, the make up test was scheduled for the following week and we spent five straight days in the attic of the Fiji house researching the questions in the test booklet.  The answers were readily available as several of our friends had attended the debriefing session the afternoon of the original test where staffers presented and discussed the answers.  We felt as though that just wouldn't be right and that we should actually find the answers by digging through the textbooks – many of which we had to borrow.  Researching the answers by actually studying the material was also a way to prepare for the possibility that we would be given a different test.

We arrived at the History of Civ office for the make up test, were handed each a test booklet and an answer sheet, and sent to two adjacent cubicles.   I opened the test booklet and was greatly relieved to find that it was the same test that we had studied.  Marc and I had agreed that if it were the same test, we would both shoot for a grade of B – no need to flaunt things at this stage,  We had even determined in advance which answers we would mark incorrectly so that our answer sheets would look different,  I went about marking my answer sheet as planned but then I noticed that Hartwig was doing all kinds of erasing.
I suspected that Hartwig was going for an A instead of a B.  This pissed me off.
If he was going for an A, then I was going to go for an A+.  I spent over two hours checking and rechecking my answers against the questions until I was convinced there weren't more than five questions where I wasn't certain of the answer.  This was due to the fact that even with five days to study there were still some questions we couldn't answer.  I got up, turned in my test and walked outside.  Hartwig stayed for another twenty minutes.


Toward the middle of the summer I received my grades in the mail.  I looked at the semester grade for History of Civ and saw a C.  This struck me as odd since the final exam was supposed to comprise more than half of your grade for the whole semester.  If I had nailed the final, as I was sure that I had, there was no way I should get anything lower than a B.  I waited a few weeks after I returned to school in the fall before I stopped by the History of Civ office to ask how I had done on the comprehensive make up test.  The lady behind the counter wrote down my name and went off to check.  I waited a full fifteen minutes before she finally returned.  Something was surely afoot.  She looked me straight in the eye and said, "C, you got a C."  I didn't say anything right away.  I didn't flinch, smirk or gasp.  I remained perfectly motionless and after a second or two I said, "Thanks" and walked back down to the Fiji house.