Breaking & Entering

The summer following my sophomore year at Occidental I needed to make some money to help my parents cover my tuition.  I was hired as a dishwasher by J's Restaurant in Glendale, California My shift was 6 pm to 2 am, Thursday through Sunday nights - the busiest nights of the week.  The assistant manager told me straight out that it was not easy work.  The last three dishwashers he had hired all said they badly needed work but none made it through a full week before they quit.  The job paid $1.09 an hour.

J's Restaurant was located on the corner of North Glendale Avenue and Monterey Road and was an A-frame structure with a natural wood interior.  Several years after I worked at J's it was demolished to make way for the 134 Ventura Freeway.  Foxy's Restaurant on Colorado Boulevard opened that same summer in 1964.  I assumed it was the same owner as J's as it was a bit larger but was built in an identical style including the cross cut log ends covering some of the wall space.

In 1964, California Federal Savings put up a building on Eagle Rock Boulevard with a digital time display at the top of its tower (a first for Northeast Los Angeles and plays a key part in this story).  The California Federal Savings building later became a CitiBank property but went up for sale in November of 2014 asking $8.2 million.

I started at J's on a Thursday night which was less hectic than the week end nights and gave me a chance to get my bearings.  From 6 to 9:30 pm I mostly washed, dried and replenished the supply of dishes and utensils.  Around 9:30 the restaurant stopped serving and by 10:00 the assistant manager, servers and cook were gone and I had the place to myself. 

I was being paid for eight hours regardless of how long it took.  If I finished early I could leave and still receive eight hours pay.  However, if I went over eight hours there was no additional pay.  By 2:00 am I was expected to bus all remaining dishes from the restaurant and counter areas and finish washing and stacking; clean and replace the various components of the coffee making equipment; vacuum the entire restaurant; clean all tables, seats, counters and shelves in the restaurant, kitchen and walk in cooler; clean the restrooms; take the wooden floor platforms from the kitchen and walk in cooler to the parking lot, hose them off and but before replacing them, sweep and mop the floors in the kitchen, walk in cooler and restrooms; and remove all trash to the dumpsters in the parking lot. 

There was an additional chore that the assistant manager was careful to demonstrate for me.  In the kitchen above the griddles and stoves were a series of thick metal mesh screens that collected grease.  They were to be removed, de-greased, washed, rinsed and then put back.  When the screens were replaced they would still be wet and it was necessary to switch on a heating element to sterilize the screens and evaporate all moisture to prevent rust.  The heating element was to run a minimum of one minute to insure sterilization but no more than 2 minutes to prevent the restaurant from burning to the ground.

That first night was rough and when I finished I drove east on Colorado to go home and made a right when I got to Eagle Rock Boulevard.  Two blocks ahead, I saw the top of the California Federal Savings tower, the digital time read 4:47.  It had taken me over ten and a half hours and this was just a Thursday.

I took this on as a challenge and began analyzing ways to shorten and combine tasks to reduce the time needed to finish my shift.  I also began to accelerate the pace at which I worked.  Gradually I was able to bring the total time down to eight hours.  I would finish in a rush each night, jump in my car and race to the California Federal Savings tower to check the digital clock to see if it was a new personal record.  I became obsessed with reducing the time to a new low.

The methods I employed to save time had other benefits.  I began clearing dishes from tables as soon as customers were finished.  This meant there was no huge backlog of dirty dishes waiting for me when we stopped serving.  It also reduced the time that customers had to wait for a clean table. The customers liked not having to wait.  The time for a meal was reduced and servers were able to wait on more customers.  The servers started getting better tips and they cut me in for a share.  The servers also didn't want the coffee equipment and some other chores to interfere with my clearing tables so they started doing those things for me.

I was working at a brutal pace and created a couple of perks to make things more bearable.  Twice a night I would dash into the cooler and shut the door.  I told everyone I needed to cool down.  Once inside I would grab a foot long skewer I kept there and thrust it into a bucket of shrimp; then remove the skewer loaded with shrimp and plunge it into a bucket filled with cocktail sauce.  Finally, I would place the skewer above my mouth like a sword swallower and push the delicious dripping goodies into my mouth.  I then replaced the skewer and returned to my chores munching away for the next few minutes.

The other treat I looked forward to every night took place after everyone else had gone home.  I would lie face up on a counter top under the drink dispenser with my open mouth directly below the root beer spigot.  I was usually fairly dehydrated at this point in the evening and would put quite a dent in the root beer supply.

After my third week on the job, I had lowered the digital display time to 12:37.  I had cut four hours and ten minutes off of the first night I worked.

On a Sunday night at the end of my fourth week I was in the last stage of wrapping things up before I drove home.  The grease screens were being sterilized by the heating elements while I was taking trash from the rest rooms to the dumpsters in the parking lot – an example of combining tasks to save time.  Standing by the dumpsters, I heard the back door being blown shut by the wind.  This being the door I used to enter and exit the restaurant since the front door is locked by the assistant manager when everyone leaves at 10:00 pm.  This also being the door that locks automatically when shut, making it unnecessary for the assistant manager to provide me with my own key.

I went to check on the back door to see if by chance it somehow was not locked.
It was locked.  I could hear the heating elements humming away.  I ran to check on the front door but it was also locked.  I had never been given a phone number to use in case of an emergency.  I could still hear the humming from inside the kitchen.  I returned to the back door.  I had seen it done countless times in films and on Dragnet.  One simply has to lift their knee and jam their foot forward as hard and fast as possible positioning the bottom of the shoe close to the doorknob, and voila!

I didn't really see where I had any other option so I gave it a shot and discovered that it is just as easy as it looks on television to kick in a door.  In fact, because I was in the pumped up mode that is typical at the end of my shift, the door not only opened but was blown completely off its hinges ending up on the floor a full twelve feet into the kitchen.  I went into the kitchen and switched off the heating elements, turned off the lights and did my best to replace the door.  There were several small shattered pieces of wood that I used as shims to hold the door in place inside the jamb.  I drove home a little flustered and went to bed.  I don't remember looking at the digital clock.

The next morning I got a phone call from the assistant  manager.  He asked excitedly, "Were you here when they broke in?"

I hesitated but then said, "Yeah".  I just didn't want to tell him that I kicked in the door.  His question sounded as there might be a way around this.

Now he was really excited, "You were here!  What the hell happened?  Are you okay?"

I said, "I was at the sink and I heard a big crash and it scared the shit out of me and I yelled.  I saw the door laying on the floor and I heard somebody running away.  I waited a while and put the door back and I just went home cause you never gave me a phone number to call."

A little calmer now, he said, "Did you see 'em?"

I said, "No, I just heard 'em running."

Then he told me, "Well the detectives are here now taking fingerprints.  Get some sleep and do you think you can come over here later today so we can talk?"

I said, "Sure."


When I met with the assistant manager that afternoon he told me that he was really pleased with my work and he didn't want me to quit because of what had happened.  Also, he was going to give me a raise of 25 cents an hour starting the next week.