WCTU

A couple of years ago I was riding down Eagle Rock Boulevard with my son Michael and his wife Maria.  We came to Norwalk Avenue where Senor Fish sits on the northwest corner, Michael made a right turn, and parked next to the curb in middle of the block.  This was to be the chosen spot for unwrapping, assembling, installing and adjusting as needed, the newly purchased infant car seat – all without benefit of reading the manufacturer's instructions.  This struck me as a good time to get some air, so I exited the back seat and took a look around.  Directly to my right was the former WCTU home for women.  My family moved to a house on this same street in 1949 when I was four.  I was always curious about this place as it was the tallest structure in all of Eagle Rock. 

It was built in 1927 to offer a new and expanded home that could accommodate up to 100 veterans of the Temperance and Women's Suffrage Movement.  Their former digs in Highland Park had been a conventional house.  At some point in junior high, I had read about Carrie Nation and discovered the significance of the letters "WCTU" that appear on the building.  Other Carrie related trivia I've held on to include:  she was six feet tall, weighed 180 pounds, her mother was committed to an asylum insisting she was Queen Victoria, and after Carrie passed away in 1911, Kansas authorities searched what was once her father's farm and uncovered the largest moonshine operation in the State's history.

Standing outside the car, I began having second thoughts about walking about. My planter's fasciitis was in full bloom causing me to hobble awkwardly.  I was curious about what went on inside the building.  The front door to the building was closed and every window in the place was covered.  I decided to walk to the back of the place, snoop around, and put a little more distance between me and the car seat fiasco. 

How is it I had gone more than sixty years without ever before hearing the term, planter's fasciitis?  It is more debilitating than epilepsy, and by far more likely to afflict one, yet epilepsy is a household word and planter's fasciitis is like Groucho's secret word.  Did the Greeks and Romans share an natural immunity to it?  Why is there no mention of it in any classic literature?  Not even a "Christ my foot is killing me!"  Hercules, Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great were fortunate to be epileptics.  Had they instead suffered from planter's fasciitis their names would have never been posted to the big board.

Limping badly, I made it half way up the driveway and spotted a side door about fifteen feet away.  I was having a terrible time walking and was regretting that I would have to eventually retrace my steps back to the car.  I wasn't anxious to travel another fifteen feet, but the side door had a small window in which was placed a written notice.  The move to the side of the building had revealed no new information.  There was no sound coming from inside and no movement was visible in any of the windows.  My curiosity forced me to endure the agony and I made my way over to the door.  The notice was a typewritten memo of some sort, done in font size ten.  My reading glasses were in my jacket back in the car.  I couldn't read a word.  I tried that trick where you open your fist just enough to look through the coiled fingers like a telescope, but the door was shaded by an overhang and there wasn't enough light to make it work.  Just then I realized a woman had appeared in the drive way and was standing maybe ten feet behind me.  I turned and said to her, "Do you know anything about this place?  It seems to be vacant."

The woman hesitated at first, but finally looked straight at me and said," Doff thur wha larth pro".

I wanted to respond to her but I didn't know where to start.  She started up again, "Sor ghay breven menkie".

On the second go round she gesticulated feverishly.  All I could think of was Joe Cocker.  I began to realize that I can no longer walk or see worth a damn, and now I've lost either my hearing or the ability to comprehend language; or, perhaps both.  This couldn't be the early onset of dementia, it doesn't come at you in a sudden surge, does it?  No, it's more likely something along the lines of a massive stroke and total devastation.  Am I really going to have my last round up in the driveway of the WCTU?  I looked skyward and yelled, "Fire up the still Carrie, I 'm comin' to join ya!"

The woman began to back away, then turned and disappeared around one corner of the building.  I tried to remain calm and began to feel better.  I guessed that today wasn't going to be my last after all.  I slowly returned to the car where the modern day equivalent of the Manhattan Project was winding down.  I put myself once again in the back seat and figured Michael and Maria weren't anymore interested in sharing their adventure with me, than I was in sharing mine with them.


With a little thought and effort I think I've been able to put together a rational explanation for my run in with the woman at the WCTU.  It seems that GLAD, an agency for the deaf, purchased the building in the early 1990s and has a small staff on site in one of the single story wings.  I figure the woman in the driveway was one of the GLAD staff, working inside the building.  She must have looked out and seen me and my ramshackle walk, and came outside to help me.  She assumed that I was just another deaf and decrepit person who was trying to find the GLAD offices.  Once she realized I wasn't deaf, just decrepit and possibly unbalanced, she went back to work.