Catalina Spring Break

 


I was struggling with some ugly thoughts on the ride up to the Catalina airport.  Sue was driving us to the top of the island, some 2,000 feet above Avalon for breakfast at the restaurant she’d taken over several decades ago.  It had all started out innocently enough, a seemingly tame one-lane road with hardly any traffic but as we continued to climb the severity of the drop off from the edge of the all too narrow road began to grab my full attention.  It wasn’t just at an occasional spot where one became alarmed, every inch of the road was poised atop a deadly chasm – the sort of terrain where rope bridges are deployed.

Having travelled this route thousands of times, Sue was of course annoyingly nonchalant, spinning entertaining tales about the old days, the details of which I am unable to recall.  Despite my polite acknowledgements at the time (“really”, “you don’t say”) I could only focus on what I feared would be featured on the news that evening as a family vacation tragedy.  One of the most unnerving things about the road is that there are no guard rails, anywhere, none.  Mind you the road itself is probably the proper width for a go cart so when it came time to squeeze by a trash truck at one point, I almost soiled myself.  For the last half of the ride, the views looking down to the Pacific Ocean were akin to those I had only seen previously from an airplane.

Earlier in the week I had walked from town up this same road looking for a vantage point where I could sit down and do some sketches of the harbor.  I found a good spot a half mile up the hill and sat on the edge of the road unaware that it was also a popular stop for island tour vehicles.  While seated there, every 5 minutes one of a wide variety of vehicles pulled up with a fender a few inches from the back of my neck at which point I was treated to a tour guide’s description of the highlights in the distance, shouting to be heard over the noise of the engine and accompanied by a chorus of “gosh” and “golly” from people that prior to the tour evidently were unaware there are places on the earth where dry land and water meet.

When we finally arrived at the airport, I felt I now shared the type of insights that are typically only afforded to people with near death experiences.  When Sue began taking everybody’s breakfast order,  I realized I had no appetite.  I was still locked into the lowest level of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs – survival.  I eventually calmed down enough to where I felt I could handle a bagel.  Sitting on the patio one begins to appreciate the setting of the restaurant.  Beautiful views, surrounded by silence and the rolling hills that form the plateau where the airport rests.

This is about the time when I begin to wonder about Sue.  Yes, I do remember being in my twenties and some of the decisions I made.  As naïve and clueless as I may have been, the notion of taking on a restaurant at this location would have never come to the surface.  To the west, the nearest customer is 5,000 miles away.  Other than a few hikers there’s no one to the north.  To the south there are 3,700 people lining in Avalon but they are 10 miles away and have to risk their lives to get there.  To the east, there are 20 million people 26 miles away who also face risk in flying one of those tacky little planes that crash every day and come down on one of the trickiest landing strips in the United States.  The restaurant can only operate in the daytime, as flying is restricted to daylight and only the criminally insane would be on that road after dark.  It makes one wonder what Sue would have done if the Manaus Opera House built in 1897 in the dead center of the Amazon jungle had become available.

After breakfast we rode down to Shark Harbor on the back side of the island.  We were the only humans there and other than the concrete block restroom, there’s not a single sign that anyone else has ever been there.  After having lived in Southern California for any length of time one can’t help but get a glimpse of what it must have been like for Lewis and Clark when they finally reached the Pacific.

On the way back to Avalon we took a different route in the hopes that the kids could get to see one of the buffalo that roam the island.  Fortunately, we did find one who was grazing alongside the road and we stopped to check it out.  I realize I am going out on a limb here using “it” but I know little about these creatures including their pronoun preference.  They are odd looking and it’s difficult to speculate as to what two or more species were complicit in spawning these animals.  Their legs are obviously too short for the rest of their body and seem completely impractical for stampeding.  The legs in fact resemble those of a hyena.  Then there’s the torso which slants down from front to back so radically that one can’t imagine they could run downhill without doing a face plant.  The difference between the front and the rear of the beast is the most unsettling thing about them.  Whereas the massive head, neck and shoulders may have come from a mastodon, the hind quarters bring to mind Mickey Rooney.